Last Updated July 2014
The Information We Collect
In the course of operating the Platform and providing our services, Monetate collects the following types of information (collectively, the “Information”).
1. Personal Information. Our Clients and/or their e-mail service providers (“ESPs”) will send us your e-mail address and/or other personal identifiers if you have opted to receive marketing or other communications from such Client.
2. Information From Your Activity. Information that we or our technology providers may automatically collect when you visit, access, and/or use our Clients’ websites (the “Websites”), include your IP address; referring URL; time stamp; browser type and language; operating system; screen height; screen width; color depth; whether your computer is Java enabled; Internet connection type; whether or not your browser accepts cookies; pages viewed on the Websites; products viewed, placed in the cart, and purchased on the Websites; quantity, price, and purchase ID of products placed in cart and/or purchased on the Websites; and custom page data, as defined by our Clients.
3. Inferred Information. Based on the Information we collect from your Website activity, search terms entered through your browser, and information gleaned from previous Monetate cookies, we may infer other information, such as zip code, country, state, time zone, weather, temperature, heat index, wind chill, or proximity to a shipping location.
How We Use and Share the Information
Monetate uses and shares the Information only as follows.
- When we receive your e-mail address and/or other personal identifiers, we will analyze such data and instruct our Clients and/or their ESPs what content to insert into marketing or other communications to you. Our Clients and/or their ESPs will then send you a tailored e-mail based on our instructions.
- We will access, use, and share the Information as required to fulfill our contractual obligations to our Clients or subsequent requests for service and/or support by our Clients.
- Our technical staff may require periodic access to Information to monitor system performance and network capacity, test and fix systems, and develop and implement upgrades to systems.
- We may employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. Examples may include providing technical assistance and customer service. These other companies will have access to the Information only as necessary to perform their functions and to the extent permitted by law.
- In an ongoing effort to better understand visitors to the Websites, the Platform, and our products and services, we may analyze the Information in aggregate form in order to operate, maintain, manage, and improve the Platform and/or our products and services. This aggregate information does not identify you personally.
- We may share some or all of your Information with any of our parent companies, subsidiaries, joint ventures, or other companies under common control with us.
- As we develop our businesses, we might sell or buy businesses or assets. In the event of a corporate sale, merger, reorganization, sale of assets, dissolution, or similar event, the Information may be part of the transferred assets.
- To the extent permitted by law, we may also disclose the Information: (i) when required by law, court order, or other government or law enforcement authority or regulatory agency; or (ii) whenever we believe that disclosing such Information is necessary or advisable, for example, to protect the rights, property, or safety of Monetate or others.
Accessing and Modifying Information and Communication Preferences
How We Protect the Information
We take commercially reasonable steps to protect the Information from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. Please understand, however, that no security system is impenetrable. We cannot guarantee the security of our databases, nor can we guarantee that the Information that you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted to and from us over the Internet.
Important Notices to Non-U.S. Residents/Safe Harbor Certification
Monetate complies with the U.S.-EU Safe Harbor Framework and the U.S.-Swiss Safe Harbor Framework as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal information from European Union member countries and Switzerland. Monetate has certified that it adheres to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access, and enforcement. To learn more about the Safe Harbor program, and to view Monetate’s certification, please visit http://www.export.gov/safeharbor/.
How to Contact Us