Last updated August 2016
The information we collect
In the course of operating the Platform and providing our services, Monetate collects the following types of information (collectively, the “Information”):
- Personal Information. Our Clients and/or their email service providers (“ESPs”) will send us your email address and/or other personal identifiers if you have opted to receive marketing or other communications from such Client.
- Information From Your Activity. Information that we or our technology providers may automatically collect when you visit, access, and/or use our Clients’ websites (the “Websites”), include your IP address; referring URL; time stamp; browser type and language; operating system; screen height; screen width; color depth; whether your computer is Java enabled; Internet connection type; whether or not your browser accepts cookies; pages viewed on the Websites; products viewed, placed in the cart, and purchased on the Websites; quantity, price, and purchase ID of products placed in cart and/or purchased on the Websites; and custom page data, as defined by our Clients.
- Inferred Information. Based on the Information we collect from your Website activity, search terms entered through your browser, and information gleaned from previous Monetate cookies, we may infer other information, such as zip code, country, state, time zone, weather, temperature, heat index, wind chill, or proximity to a shipping location.
How we use and share the information
Monetate uses and shares the Information only as follows.
- When we receive your email address and/or other personal identifiers, we will analyze such data and instruct our Clients and/or their ESPs what content to insert into marketing or other communications to you. Our Clients and/or their ESPs will then send you a tailored email based on these instructions.
- We will access, use, and share the Information as required to fulfill our contractual obligations to our Clients or subsequent requests for service and/or support by our Clients.
- Our technical staff may require periodic access to Information to monitor system performance and network capacity, test and fix systems, and develop and implement upgrades to systems.
- We may employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. Examples may include providing technical assistance and customer service. These other companies will have access to the Information only as necessary to perform their functions and to the extent permitted by law.
- In an ongoing effort to better understand visitors to the Websites, the Platform, and our products and services, we may analyze the Information in aggregate form in order to operate, maintain, manage, and improve the Platform and/or our products and services. This aggregate information does not identify you personally.
- We may share some or all of your Information with any of our subsidiaries, joint ventures, or other companies under common control with us.
- As we develop our businesses, we might sell or buy businesses or assets. In the event of a corporate sale, merger, reorganization, sale of assets, dissolution, or similar event, the Information may be part of the transferred assets.
- To the extent permitted by law, we may also disclose the Information: (i) when required by law, court order, or other government or law enforcement authority or regulatory agency; or (ii) whenever we believe that disclosing such Information is necessary or advisable, for example, to protect the rights, property, or safety of Monetate or others.
Accessing and modifying information and communication preferences
How we protect the information
We take commercially reasonable steps to protect the Information from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. Please understand, however, that no security system is impenetrable. We cannot guarantee the security of our databases, nor can we guarantee that the Information that you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted to and from us over the Internet.
Important notices to non-U.S. Residents/EU-US Privacy Shield
Monetate has further committed to refer unresolved privacy complaints under the EU-US Privacy Shield Principles to BBB EU PRIVACY SHIELD, a non-profit alternative dispute resolution provider located in the United States and operated by the Council of Better Business Bureaus. If you do not receive timely acknowledgment of your complaint, or if your complaint is not satisfactorily addressed, please visit http://bbb.org/EU-privacy-shield/for-eu-consumers for more information and to file a complaint.
Please note that it if your complaint is not resolved through these channels, under certain limited conditions, for the individual to invoke last resort binding arbitration, a binding arbitration option may be available before a Privacy Shield Panel to be created by the U.S. Department of Commerce and the European Commissions.
You have the right under the EU-US Privacy Shield to access, correct or delete any of your personal data which Monetate is processing.
Please note that Monetate may be required to disclose an individual’s personal information in response to a lawful request by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements. In case of onward transfer to third parties of data of EU individuals received pursuant to the EU-US Privacy Shield, Monetate is potentially liable.
Monetate is subject to the investigatory and enforcement powers of the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
How to contact us