Tablet growth (the only mobile channel w/ respectable conversions) is flat. Here’s what you can do about it.

By Marc Hummel

November 22, 2016

It’s been a big year for mobile ecommerce. Here’s a recap of some of the most interesting insights we’ve come across so far this year.

According to comScore, mobile devices command a full 65% of our digital browsing time.

02

And according to Monetate data, mobile traffic share to ecommerce websites passed the 50% threshold for the first time ever in Q3 2016. Tablets and smartphones made up a combined 52.3% of website visits. Desktops accounted for the remaining 47.7%.

04

Tablet vs. smartphone traffic growth

According to recent Monetate analysis of over 1.9 billion shopping sessions, traffic from tablets was 2% in Q1 2011, then rose in every subsequent quarter until Q4 2014.

Since then, tablet’s share of mobile traffic has leveled off, accounting for 12–16% of global website visits. But growth in traffic share from smartphones hasn’t slowed down. The share of website visits from smartphones increased almost every quarter since Q1 2011 (as you can see above). In Q3 2016, its global share rose to 40.33% from just 24.15% in Q3 2015.

Tablet vs. smartphone conversion-rate growth

In our recent Monetate EQ report, we found that conversion rates for smartphones lag their tablet and desktop counterparts by a considerable amount, and declined YoY.

Conversion rates by device type

But that’s not the whole story. Smartphone AOV growth outpaced tablet and desktop (although it’s still the lowest of the three)—and revenue grew nearly twice as fast as sessions. In fact, smartphones were the only device to achieve sustained quarter-over-quarter AOV growth for the previous four quarters, something desktop and tablet weren’t able to match. So although conversion rates are on the decline, shoppers are still spending serious money on smartphones, and growth there is on the rise.

For more insight into mobile conversion rates, AOV, and more: Download the report today.

eq3-2016-wp_blog2

Marc Hummel is a former Content Marketing Associate for Monetate. He's also a part-time grad student at the University of Pennsylvania. He enjoys biking to work, reading, listening to podcasts/music, and eating ice cream. Usually not all at once. For more about Marc, go here.

Experience the future of ecommerce personalization

Book your personalized demo today.